A Tribute to Jordan Riak

페이지 정보

작성자 Arletha Goshorn 댓글 0건 조회 793회 작성일 23-11-24 11:33

본문

Dear Mitch, I'm so sorry in regards to the loss of Jordan. I did not know he was sick. I wish I might attend the memorial service however please go my condolences to Anne Riak, Jordan's spouse and also his members of the family. He left such a legacy and has touched so many lives. I do not know where to begin . . . So sad, however will be ever so grateful that I met Jordan, first on-line, then in particular person. I am grateful for his tireless work and his words of recommendation and his eloquent way with phrases. I hope everybody that he touched can find a method to continue the message . . . from the prisoners who were about to be released to the college boards and legislators in addition to the many mother and father and teachers who have been real mates and supporters. Thanks for all your help. In sympathy, Isabelle Allgood-Neal * * * Dear American associates, With Alice Miller, Jordan Riak has been for me a model. I've typically been on his website Nospank and when he published the translation of my e book Spanking, I felt very completely happy and proud. He stays for me a beautiful particular person, all the time alive by his affect, and due to him the world will probably be less violent. Olivier Maurel President of the Observatoire de la violence éducative ordinaire (France) * * * Dear Mitch Sad, sad day, for many of us, all over the world. Jordan’s tenacity and fire have been unforgettable, he was destined to go away a big legacy. I cherish my memories of discovering his super nospank project, the comfort and courage it gave me in my work and hope for the future, and the powerful methods this hive of knowledge knowledge and activism fed the work that I do. I am undecided what my e-book would have been without Jordan’s work. It's sobering to mirror on this, as frankly I don’t know if my e book would have touched so many or resonated so solidly had been it not for the service that Jordan’s mission provided. It was a particular second, to satisfy and dine with Jordan at your apartment in SF. All of the more treasured now that I see it is not going to be repeated. Not day-after-day do we encounter someone like Jordan. I know you and he are good pals and comrades, and I am sorry to your loss, Mitch. I believe Jordan modified the rotation of the earth in his small and large way, he modified it sufficient that it will not go back to how it was prior. I certain intend to keep strolling and to recollect him as I do; to really feel him walking alongside us in our revolutionary and youngster advocating work. Adios, Jordan, I hope you're having fun with your freedom from a troubled and troubling physique, within the information that you used it so very very well. Robin ______________________ Robin Grille, clinical psychologist in Sydney, Australia Author of Parenting for a Peaceful World and Heart-to-Heart Parenting Blog: Heart to Heart Parenting Web: www.our-emotional-well being.com * * * Jordan was a legend once i started my work on bodily punishment of kids. We ultimately met, by phone. During that heat and collegial dialog, I felt what so many others already knew about Jordan-his personable, principled and passionate dedication to the safety and nicely-being of youngsters I need to offer my condolences on Jordan’s loss to his household and to all who depended on his clear, thought of and fixed voice that has made a distinction within the lives of so many youngsters. Sincerely, Ron Ensom ______________________ Ron Ensom, MSW, RSW Ensom & Associates Ottawa * * * Jordan was a pioneer in ending college corporal punishment, one of the primary in our nation to deal with the issue head-on, just as he had performed in Australia earlier than shifting to California. He was a passionate advocate who known as me always of day or night, generally forgetting that I was within the japanese time zone. Well, on second thought, possibly he hadn’t forgotten! But what was on his mind was just crucial and he wanted to succeed in me when he had a question or one other good thought in thoughts! Jordan impressed, he led, he confronted - an actual hero to kids! I will miss our brainstorming phone calls. Robert Fathman, Ph.D. Former president and co-founder The National Coalition to Abolish Corporal Punishment in Schools Dublin, Ohio

* * * I'm so sorry to listen to about Jordan Riak. He's a hero who may never get all of the credit he deserves for his courageous accomplishments as he has battled and gained some hard-earned ground for youngsters's rights, not all the time a popular topic. Someone ought to write a e-book about him. In my thoughts he's a legend. I want you the perfect, David ______________________ David Cooperson, retired social worker Author of The Holocaust Lesson on Compassionate Parenting and Childhood Corporal Punishment * * * Jordan Riak (1935-2016): In Memoriam It was within the mid-nineties, round 20 years ago, that I first learned about Jordan Riak’s advocacy for children’s rights and ending the culturally normative violence of bodily punishment of youngsters. I pictured a bright visionary who was on the leading-edge of a newly emergent peace movement that might make a palpable influence in lowering each human suffering and wider societal violence. I used to be instructing sociology programs on the time, amongst different duties, at a private college in Vermont. Once i discovered that Jordan would ship me as many free copies of his booklet, Plain Talk about Spanking, as I requested, I ordered sufficient for all the scholars in my massive lessons and made the booklet required reading. I additionally sent a donation to his non-profit initiative. In school discussions, the booklets stirred up vehement debate, with most of the scholars adamantly defending the spankings with which they'd been raised and solely a small minority speaking up in support of Jordan’s position with which I used to be in complete alignment. When i moved to the San Francisco Bay Area within the early 2000s, I met Jordan in person, favored and respected him immediately, and accepted his invitation to become a board member of Parents and Teachers towards Violence in Education. His enthusiasm, energy, creativity, generosity, articulateness, ardour, expertise, and commitment have been so spectacular. He was so verbally adroit and got here up with many pithy, pertinent, provocative methods to ship his message. He's left quite a legacy. I remember his voice and spirit vividly even when specific words he spoke do not come instantly to mind. He labored day and night time for his cause, did each degree of the work, including printing and stapling (till donations allowed him to pay for this production), packing, delivery, sharpening the delivery of his message, writing, drawing, enhancing ever-improved editions of his booklet, being webmaster and editor of his huge on-line archive , advising and mentoring allies, being interviewed on radio and television, driving to Folsom Prison to speak to people about to be launched, talking at conferences, approaching dad and mom of small kids in stores to ask if he may give the dad and mom his booklet and the children pins and stickers he had designed with his message, dreaming up massive-scale campaigns, and so rather more. He lived and breathed his mission as did very few people I have ever met. He was additionally ever-thankful to his beloved spouse Anne whom he incessantly credited with serving to make his work doable. I used to be comfortable and proud to contribute my writing and editorial skills to among the campaigns that Jordan conceived. One such marketing campaign concerned writing a petition, with feedback from other members of the board, and helping circulate it to gain the signatures of a whole bunch of psychologists to request that the American Psychological Association (APA) formally oppose, on clinical and scientific grounds, the bodily punishment of children. While the APA didn't come via as we had hoped, the hassle was not in vain. We gained many signatories as allies and stimulated dialogue. Jordan lived absolutely and shone brightly. He is missed by all who knew, beloved, pandora spank and had been inspired by him. Yet his legacy lives on. The movement to ban physical punishment of children in homes and faculties has gained exceptional momentum in this nation and all over the world. Jordan made inestimable contributions to this motion, and it could arguably take a complete e book or documentary movie to start to account for all he accomplished.

Mitch Hall, Ph.D., R.Y.T. Author, holistic health and wellness counselor, peace educator, yoga and tai chi trainer, children’s rights advocate, PTAVE board member, and friend breathepeacefully.com * * * Thank you for this lovely and heartfelt remembrance of Jordan. I had the honor of having a short interplay with him and likewise felt his wonderful vitality and keenness in direction of this unimaginable cause. May his spirit proceed to soar high. Ellie Zarrabian, Ph.D. Centerpeace Project * * * My first contact with Jordan was in 1994. I'd learned of his work from Adah Maurer's e-newsletter, The Last Resort?, and wanted to get his feedback on an essay I'd written. Within a couple of months, and for many years to come, he would be my chief ally in the trouble to raise consciousness of corporal punishment's hazardous nature. He was additionally the nexus through which I made acquaintance with a variety of activists and really became part of a motion, an assembly of people across the globe who shared a passionate perception in children's rights. Jordan was for me and for many others on this entrance a wellspring of information, knowledge, printed materials, and ethical support. So much of what I achieved was thanks in great half to him and to his nonprofit operation, Parents and Teachers Against Violence in Education. Over time, I had the honor of writing a booklet for PTAVE, helping with the expansion of its webpage, and ultimately serving on its board of directors. I'm fortunate to have had the prospect to fulfill Jordan in particular person on two occasions, and to have developed a friendship with him over the course of many long telephone conversations. Jointly, we'd curse the state of affairs in our society that so enables cruelty to children--but in addition cheer small victories and hopeful signs, whereas consistently brainstorming as to what might help to speed progress alongside from its glacial pace. I drew inspiration from Jordan's courage, wit, vitality, dedication, and total humanity. Although his blunt turns of rhetoric may very well be startling, I revered his dedication to not sugarcoat the tough realities that children and teenagers are up against. Loads shall be said about the legacy of Jordan's work. His signature booklet, Plain Discuss Spanking, first printed in 1992, has been broadly learn and reproduced all through the world. It has been translated into a minimum of 9 languages, by readers who supplied their providers without cost as a result of they noticed the importance of its heartfelt message and the usefulness of its concise, simple-to-read presentation. The website Project NoSpank, which Jordan constructed from scratch, stands as an eminent useful resource for anyone searching for to challenge the accepted use of corporal punishment, an immense collection of positive arguments, keen perception, and arduous information. Nowhere else will you discover a more complete outlook on the scope and impact of this violence routinely perpetrated towards the young beneath the banner of discipline. In actual fact, plenty of documented travesties would now not be discoverable by means of Internet searches, were it not for this archive. Project NoSpank has also served as a venue for victims of physical punishment (whether at home, college, or elsewhere) to relate their experience and the lasting hurt that was done to them. It continues for many to be an oasis of vindication. Jordan's message to victims was clear: You didn't deserve it. No baby deserves to be handled like that. This straightforward, powerful thought has undoubtedly brought a measure of healing to untold numbers of internet visitors and struck a major blow against the cycle of abuse. Farewell, Jordan, and thank you on your life of service to this cause. It won't be forgotten. Tom Johnson, PTAVE board member* * * Thank you for letting me know. I am unhappy about this news and it is a good loss. I used to be in touch with Jordan a while in the past and he was indeed a wonderful, dedicated man. Please convey my deep condolences to his household. And please name on me in case you are launching other actions to once more get the APA to take a stand against bodily self-discipline of kids. I feel the time is ripe now, with all we are learning from neuroscience, and it will also be good to get the association of pediatricians to do so. If you plan any of this, I want to help it. As you may know, I'm passionately committed to this cause, have revealed extensively on children's human rights (see www.rianeeisler.com), and co-founded the Spiritual Alliance to Stop Intimate Violence (www.saiv.org) as a undertaking of the center for Partnership Studies (www.centerforpartnership.org). Also, in the event you shouldn't have it, please check out our Caring and Connected Parenting Guide, endorsed by pediatricians similar to Brazelton as well as Nobel Peace Laureates who acknowledge that peace on the planet is integrally linked with non-violent childcare. It may be downloaded free in each English and Spanish at http://saiv.org/parenting-information/. Again, thank you. Warmest good needs, Riane Riane Eisler, JD, PhD(h) President, Center for Partnership Studies Editor in Chief, Interdisciplinary Journal of Partnership Studies Author, together with The Chalice and the Blade, The real Wealth of Nations eisler@partnershipway.org www.rianeeisler.com * * * I met Jordan Riak a couple of a long time ago. On the time, I felt like a solo drive in Chicago giving group bilingual displays which targeted on constructive parenting and never hitting youngsters. On many days, I'd come house crying because the audiences weren't necessarily pleasant or receptive to the concept that you could raise youngsters without corporal punishment. Even in my academic lessons which targeted on trauma, individuals had not yet connected the dots that hitting kids is a traumatic expertise. Jordan welcomed me with open arms and helped to not really feel so alone. I was grateful to search out someone else of like thoughts, and this truly stored me going within the work on the front lines. Jordan also surrounded me with other youngster rights' and abolish-corporal-punishment advocates. It was fantastic! I no longer felt like a lone freak. Serving on Jordan's PTAVE Board introduced me to many people, who went on to turn out to be my mates and to their explicit struggle in opposition to corporal punishments. Jordan was generous and seemed to work non-cease in the realm. It didn't matter if the particular person was a dad or mum or professional, Jordan helped and supported in the most effective ways in which he may. From his "Plain Discuss Spanking" to his webpage, Jordan disseminated and archived information for all to make use of - for free! I really feel blessed to have ever crossed his path. I additionally thank and honor him for all of the optimistic change he has left for the world. While I hope that sometime, this kind of work will now not be wanted, within the meanwhile, Jordan will all the time be an inspiration for these of us who must proceed to observe his footsteps of non-violence and little one rights. Madeleine Y. Gomez, Ph.D. Founder and President, PsycHealth, Ltd. * * * My expensive, lovely buddy and fellow children's rights advocate, Jordan Riak, has handed from this world, but he left a legacy of healing humanity. My coronary heart is so heavy, as he was a pricey buddy of mine since 1997 when I was simply 23, a 12 months older than my son is now. Jordan was the first person to provide my youngsters's rights work a web-based platform and a large on-line viewers, permitting me to have the validation and some of the first steps wanted to actualize my life goal as a toddler advocate. Jordan and that i labored on several children's rights tasks together from 1997-2006 by means of his organization, PTAVE. Later, after i published my first ebook in 2008, I used to be honored when Jordan included it on nospank.net below his "A number of Good Books" part. Jordan also was considered one of my references for changing into an adoptive parent. He wrote a letter on my behalf once i began the technique of adopting my son, Brycen, then 11, from the foster care system in 2005. Jordan not solely had a job in supporting my adoption of my son, but Jordan got here to know Brycen through phone calls, and later, when we met in individual in 2006 when we all spoke on the National Leaders on The Child and Nonviolence Summit in Chicago. Jordan was all baby advocacy, all the time, but my favourite moment of the trip to Chicago was when our great group was having dinner on the lodge and Jordan and my son have been discussing the Lego Bionicle toy Brycen brought along. I'm together with that coronary heart-warming photo. There was no greater little one advocate than Jordan Riak, who spent numerous and endless hours, years and his own money mailing out his self-published booklets educating mother and father and professionals on the detriments of hitting, assaulting and hurting kids. His passion and tenacity inspired me and awed me tremendously. After i stop to contemplate all the children who have been spared the abuse of legalized assault because of Jordan's incessant outreach, I'm humbled. Because this excellent man has lived, there was much less violence, much less suffering, much less pain and fewer tears on this world. Children are safer, families are safer, houses and schools are safer, mother and father now dad or mum in a more loving and gentle manner; cities, towns, states and countries are safer and our world is a more benevolent and peaceful place to live... because Jordan Riak lived. Jordan, you had been my mentor. I really like you and the light of peace that you just have been who burned like a beacon of hope in such a darkish world. I really like the instance you set, that you simply never backed down, that you by no means sweet-coated violence against kids or tried to placate adults with the niceties of making an attempt to make them really feel much less guilty for harming children. I love that you stood up for the voiceless, that you simply generously gave and gave simply in case it will assist one more child. I love that I met somebody like you, someone who stands shoulder to shoulder in my e-book with Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. My heart is pained figuring out that the world is now lacking a human being of your caliber and benevolence. However, I love that you simply introduced me along with so many other great little one advocates like yourself, especially our family mates, Mady Gomez, Mitch Hall, Norm Lee in addition to everybody at PTAVE and EPOCH-USA, in addition to Douglas Maurer, Lloyd deMause and even Alice Miller and plenty of different baby advocates who I've met in particular person or by way of initiatives over the years- There are too many of these fantastic folks to record all of them right here. Goodbye, Jordan. I'm honored to have identified you, to have been your pal and to have had your mentorship as I developed my own profession as a humanitarian and kids's rights advocate. I am honored that my son was ready to fulfill an example of human kindness like you. With love, Laurie A. Couture, LMHC Author of Instead of Medicating and Punishing Newmarket, New Hampshire LaurieACouture.com

* * * To many people Jordan was surely an exquisite husband, father, grandfather, co-worker, and so on. To me he was a pal, but in addition a saint -- and I exploit that phrase sparingly -- perhaps of ten or so individuals out of the many lots of I've met in my 60 years. There are many people -- not enough -- but many -- who were drawn indirectly, like Jordan, to assist better the lives of kids by serving to scale back, and we hope someday eliminate, "spanking" and other forms of youngster maltreatment that's so widespread in the US and the world. Some have lent scientific muscle in the type of studies and peer reviewed analysis to show that spanking is anti-scientific and carries hidden harms. Some have campaigned on the religious entrance to assist people notice Jesus never hit a baby, or taught anybody to. Others labored from a medical or legal entrance exhibiting harms and vagueness and inconsistencies in our legal guidelines that supposedly protect children from abuse, and but afflict the same abuse on the state degree. Others have proven how our "time honored tradition" actually didn't come from some mythic "noble previous" however quite had its roots in the theology of the Inquisition and, for "paddling" in particular, US slavery. Yet others have centered on the psychological injury that may happen to both child victims and adult perpetrators of spanking and faculty paddling within the type of sado-masochism and, in some cases, baby exploitation and sexualized abuse. Yet others have shared deeply felt and horrific stories of their own little one abuse and lasting harms it carried -- with usually times neighbors, and society at every degree, trying on and doing nothing, or even approving and encouraging the abuse. Like so many of us, Jordan studied, wrote, spoke to high school boards, etc over his lifetime to help finish the cycle of abuse. But Jordan did something more with the aid of many individuals. Jordan created maybe the only greatest platform and repository of all types of research and examine materials suitable for the common lay person to freely devour, research, and perhaps contribute to as well. The PTAVE web site actually covers all features outlined above -- scientific examine references, religious, sexual, psychological, victim accounts, and letters from individuals who have been freed from years of false educating by his gentle. There are different websites, a few of which serve specific purposes very nicely. I also hosted one, www.nopaddle.com, for 12 years, and will host one again. But to me few, if any, have come near the Parents and Teachers Against Violence in Education, or PTAVE, net site. I think a seeker of reality will find all he or she needs on that site, irrespective of where they begin in their pondering, in the event that they keep an open mind and "have eyes to see," as Jesus said. I know various us in our efforts would run information articles, courtroom instances, sufferer interviews, and so on by Jordan before we published or used it ultimately, and sometimes Jordan would need to include some of these issues on the PTAVE site. I do know for many people it was all the time an awesome honor to contribute one thing to the PTAVE site in some small means. For younger or less religious people -- and I don't need to sound flippant here -- Jordan's passing is sort of like some nice person passing in the Star Wars movies where those in tune really feel a "disturbance within the pressure." In Jordan's case, nevertheless, there may be a real disturbance that is felt far and large. It is not a magical disturbance in a legendary force, but quite the very real disruption within the very actual force that Jordan was capable of undertaking through the Internet, written books, e-mails, cellphone calls, and different efforts the place he was very much felt around the US and the world. Jordan requested for recommendation, and gave recommendation, many instances through the years. He can be missed by me as a casual friend and somebody very nice on this effort. I'm sure Jordan will probably be much more missed by close family and mates as the actually fantastic man he was. For you all I have the best sympathy to your loss. For myself and the remainder of the world, I do not consider he will ever be replaced. On the plus side, however, Jordan's great work and legacy will live on with the greater consciousness and changing attitudes toward kinder youngster care that Jordan so ably championed. Jeff Charles * * * Dear Anne, Family and Friends of Jordan, We could also be familiar to one another, although we have by no means met in particular person, due to the tireless work of Jordan Riak to improve the lives of children and families he introduced us collectively to form a strong movement that's gaining momentum to finish Corporal Punishment in America's Schools and to share his precious sources for nonviolent child discipline in all settings. Jordan was the consummate professional at all times, even when he was frustrated with computers, he maintained a mild-heartedness and we might share a laugh. He answered his telephone with a heat, gentle voice ready to assist in any manner he might. Jordan was absolutely obsessed with sharing his publication "Plain Speak about Spanking" and labored lovingly to compile and send each day mailings to anyone who had requested his pamphlets or who he thought would profit from the information. Jordan's website for PTAVE is an excellent useful resource with an archive that includes many publications that are not out there on the publisher's websites. It's the place anyone can go to download a replica of "Plain Speak about Spanking" or find associated articles, letters and assets. During my years of working to end corporal punishment in faculties, I have managed to unintentionally offend different advocates, because I insist on telling the truth. A big part of that truth involves sharing graphic photographs of injuries that youngsters suffered by the hands of authorities their training is entrusted to. These are important in changing legal guidelines within the United States and worldwide. I am grateful to Jordan for realizing the significance of documenting and exposing the unacceptable treatment of children in U.S. establishments. Jordan was fearless and he advised me of an early interplay with an educator where he took the paddle away from them and did not return it, and of passing out flyers to parents at school parking tons--my hero! I all the time felt comfortable putting him down as a reference for the media or anybody desirous to study more about nonviolent youngster discipline. Jordan had a quick wit and gave examples that made folks suppose. We planted seeds in all places we went on the internet, and plenty of have taken root. I've seen that the articles and news reports use our phrases now--no more sweet-coating the ugly fact--the start of true change. Jordan's life was a labor of love. His very motivation in all he did was to be of service to others and ignite a fire in them to reach out and share how we are able to all enhance our world through nonviolence. Jordan was my mentor, my buddy and my inspiration. I'm trying forwarding to meeting him in Spirit, till then, the work continues. As Jordan would say, "Carry on!" Mrs. Julie A. Worley, President Tennesseans for NonViolent School Discipline www.forkidsake.org gworley1@netzero.net * * * I received to know Mr. Jordan Riak someday within the mid 90's, and he has made me who I'm in the present day in Ghana. It was at a time I used to be attempting uncover myself and likewise attempting to grasp our academic system. As a teacher, I knew one thing was improper. Jordan helped me discover what was unsuitable and since then, I've grow to be an advocate for change on the upbringing of children each at residence and in faculties, which has led to the legislation at this time on corporal punishment in colleges. It's no longer legal for teachers to hit their college students for whatever motive, despite the fact that some few teachers are nonetheless doing it since it is the only language they understand themselves. Jordan has been a father to me from afar, although my dream to fulfill him at some point could not materialise. I'd call Jordan anytime I had a problem in my advocacy work right here. More often than not, when it appeared like there was no means ahead, I felt like I used to be not doing the correct issues, contemplating the degree of resistance and assaults from all corners. In these moments, I felt like giving up. I remember one thing Jordan informed me that modified every thing and has stored me going to today, and which led to the passing out of the legislation on corporal punishment in faculties here in Ghana. He said, "Platini, do not hand over, the children of Africa and notably Ghana will forever be grateful for whatever you are doing for them" This assertion became my walking stick and yard stick. It has saved on ringing in my ears up to this present day. Jordan has been a blessing to his generation and across many continents. He might be gone, but his work will endlessly be remembered and for those of us left behind, we have no excuse to quit in the face of all challenges. The challenges should rather urge us on, as it had been with Jordan. He persevered throughout his work, and today we are celebrating his works throughout all continents and also celebrating his life. He fought a superb fight and received the race. It is said in Africa that when an elderly person dies, it's a whole library that is burnt. Today Jordan is not any more; for me personally it is a superb loss. I do not know who to lean upon in such moments as when he counseled me so usually on the cellphone and even designed supplies for me to be utilized in Ghana--even sent me money to print them. Through Jordan, I bought to know Dr. Madeleine Y. Gomez. She has been a really faithful supporter of my work alongside Jordan, regardless that I've by no means met these two personages. I say thank you, Mady, as I all the time name her, and thanks to the workforce of PTAVE. May the nice Lord keep you sturdy to continue Jordan's good works. Jordan, farewell. RIP (NB: Please be so kind as to edit this message. I am sending this with tears in my eyes. Anytime I think of him, I shed tears. I have all the time dreamed of assembly him, embracing him, and saying, "Thanks, Jordan." It is a dream which shall never materialise. Say hey to his wife on my behalf. Tell her she has a son far away in Ghana, and tell the children they have a brother in Ghana. Though separated by distance, their father, my father, will forever be in my heart. I love all of them. I have heard and read much about them, too. Please keep the good work going. My regards to everybody in Jordan Riak's circle. I want we may arrange a foundation on his behalf to maintain his name alive. Lest I neglect to say: when it got here time to choose a name for my organisation as I used to be about to register it, Jordan was the one who advised the title to me. He said he had a friend [Adah Maurer] who set up an NGO but unfortunately had passed away. I gladly accepted his suggestion to adopt its title, End Violence Against the following Generation. Thus was born EVANG-Ghana.

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.